We’ve gathered the top social media statistics that describe how businesses and people use social media daily and how vital these platforms are to those who use them often.
This social media statistics list can be used in improving your context when setting up your social media marketing strategy to influence your target audiences.
Using social media statistics behind the networks will not only enhance your strategy but also expenditure, allowing for better targeting of users.
- As of May 2019, total worldwide population is 7.7 billion. (Worldometers)
- Nearly 33% of the world uses social networks regularly. (eMarketer)
- There are 3.499 billion active social media users. (Slideshare)
- 35% of all those 65 and older report using social media, compared with just 2% in 2005. (Pew Research Center)
- According to social media statistics gathered by Statista, $74bn was spent on social network advertising. (Statista)
- On average, people have 7.6 social media accounts. (Statista)
- US adults spend an average of 1 hour and 16 minutes or so, each day watching video on digital devices. (Emarketer)
- Social networks earned an estimated $8.3 billion from advertising. (Jeff Bullas)
- While 68% of 16 – 24 year-olds follow a celebrity on social media, 70% of teenage YouTube subscribers say they trust online influencers more than celebs. (Think With Google)
- People aged 55-64 are more than twice as likely to engage with branded content than those 28 or younger. (Social Media Today)
- The average attention span is 8 seconds. ( Global Research)
- Social Media captures over 30% of the online time. (Global Web Index)
- Over 2 billion messages are exchanged between brands and users each month. (Geo Marketing)
- The average daily time spent on social is 142 minutes a day. (Digital Information World)
- Social Media and video viewing are the 2 most popular online activities, together accounting for more than 1/3 of all internet time (Smart Insights)
- 80% of social media content is being accessed via a mobile device. (Marketing Land)
- Social media ad spend is forecasted to reach $18.4 billion in 2019 (Statista)
- 90% of young adults use social media, compared with 12% in 2005. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- 64% of marketers are using social media for 6 hours or so and 41% for 11 or more hours weekly. (Social Media Examiner)
- 92% of marketers say that social media is important to their business. (Social Media Examiner)
- 38% of organizations plan to spend more than 20% of their total advertising budgets on social media channels in, so it is up from 13% a year ago. (Go Pardot)
- Content marketing is a top priority of B2B businesses after brand building and social media engagement. 86% of women will look at social media before deciding to make a purchase. (Pew Research Center)
- Social media has become the most popular content marketing tactic for 90% of B2C businesses. (Content Marketing Institute)
- More than half of marketers who’ve been using social media for at least 2 years report it helped them improve sales. (Social Media Examiner)
- Social media has become the most popular content marketing tactic reported by 90% of B2C businesses. As a result the next most used content marketing tactics are illustrations and photos (87%) and eNewsletters (83%) and videos (82%) and website articles (81%). (Content Marketing Institute)
- Nearly 19% of marketers spend more than 20 hours each week on social media. (Social Media Examiner)
- 89% of B2B marketers use content marketing strategies. (Content Marketing Institute)
- 94% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn as part of their content strategy. Other popular platforms include like Twitter (87%) and Facebook (84%) and YouTube (74%) and Google+ (62%). (Content Marketing Institute)
- 81% of all small and medium businesses use some kind of social platform. (Mashable)
- Instagram: 1bn users (Statista)
- Top brands on Instagram are seeing a per-follower engagement rate of 4.21%, which is 58 times higher than on Facebook and 120 times higher than on Twitter. (Website Hosting Grating)
- Instagram’s engagement beat Facebook’s with a median engagement rate of 1.73% per brand post (Sprout Social)
- As of June 2018, there are nearly 1 billion monthly active users.
- As of June 2018, there are nearly 500 million daily active users.
- Half of the monthly active users on Instagram are logging in daily and actively engaging on the platform. Half. That’s significant, especially since this number, too, keeps climbing.
- The Like button is hit an average of 4.2 billion times per day.
- Nearly two out of every three users between the ages of 18-29 are using Instagram.
- Instagram images get an average of 23% more engagement than their Facebook counterparts.
- Brands see engagement rates 10x higher on Instagram than they do on Facebook.
- Posts containing videos receive about 38% more engagement than those containing images.
- 70% of users look up a brand on Instagram.
- 60% of users learn about new products through Instagram.
- One-third of Instagram users have purchased through the platform on mobile.
- Posts with locations get 79% more engagement.
- Facebook is the most popular social media platform with 2,375 billion users (Statista)
- Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp handle 60 billion messages a day. (The Guardian)
- 91% of social media users use mobile devices to access their accounts. (Coschedule)
- 78% of U.S. Facebook users have been initially influenced by this platform when discovering new products (Kleiner Perkins)
- Only 20 Fortune 500 companies, for instance, engage with their customers on Facebook, while 83% have a presence on Twitter. (Business 2 Community)
- 70% of social media marketers leverage Facebook as the most useful platform for meeting their goals (Sprout Social)
- Facebook now sees 8 billion average daily video views from 500 million users. (Techcrunch)
- LinkedIn: 610 million users (LinkedIn)
- LinkedIn currently has over 610 million members.
- The network has 303 million active monthly users, 40% of which visit the site daily.
- 90 million senior-level influencers and 63 million decision makers use LinkedIn.
- 92% of Fortune 500 companies use LinkedIn.
- 57% of companies had a LinkedIn company page in 2013.
- 46% percent of the social media traffic to B2B company sites is from LinkedIn.
- 97% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn as a content distribution channel.
- Only 3 million LinkedIn users share content every week.
- In 2016, LinkedIn users published 130,000 posts monthly.
- LinkedIn is responsible for 80% of B2B leads from social media.
- YouTube: 1.9 billion users (YouTube)The platform has over 1.9bn logged in monthly users.
• 6 out of 10 people prefer online video platforms to live TV.
• By 2025, half of viewers under 32 will not subscribe to a pay-TV service
• In an average month, 8 out of 10 18-49 year-olds watch YouTube
• In 2015, 18-49 year-olds spent 4% less time watching TV while time on YouTube went up 74%
• On mobile alone, YouTube reaches more 18-49 year-olds than any broadcast or CABLE TV network
• You can navigate YouTube in a total of 80 different languages (covering 95% of the Internet population)
• The platform has also launched in over 91 countries
• YouTube is the world’s second largest search engine and second most visited site after Google.
• YouTube is the 2nd most popular social media platform with 1.9bn users.
• 400 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
• We watch over 1 billion hours of YouTube videos a day, more than Netflix and Facebook video combined
• 70% of YouTube views come from mobile devices
• The average mobile viewing session lasts more than 40 minutes
• The first video to hit one million views was a Nike advert featuring Ronaldinho
• The video with the highest number of views is currently the music video for ‘Despacito’ by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee. It has over 6.32bn views
- • Pinterest: 265 million users (Social Media Today)
• 250 million people use Pinterest every month.
• Pinterest reaches 83 percent of US women aged 25-54
• 50 percent of new sign-ups in 2018 were men.
• 80 percent of new sign-ups are from outside the US.
• 34 percent of Americans aged 18 to 49 use Pinterest.
- Twitter: 330 million users (Statista)
- How long does it take Twitter to respond to a report? 78% of people who complain to a brand via Twitter expect a response within an hour. (Lithium)
• 24% of All Internet male users use Twitter, whereas 21% of All Internet Female users use Twitter.
• There are 261 million International Twitter users which account for 79% of Twitter accounts are based outside the United States.
• There are over 69 million Twitter users in the US.
• Roughly 46% of Twitter users are on the platform daily.
• The total number of Twitter users in the UK is 13 million.
• 37% of Twitter users are between the ages of 18 and 29, 25% users are 30-49 years old.
• 56% of Twitter users $50,000 and more in a year.
• The top three countries by user count outside the U.S. are Brazil (27.7 million users), Japan (25.9 million), and Mexico (23.5 million).
• 36% of Americans aged 18 to 29 years old use Twitter.
• 80% of Twitter users accessing the platform on a mobile device, and 93% of video views are on mobile.
This list contains just a small part of all the great social media facts existing on the internet.
You can appreciate that from this list of 107 social media marketing statistics, it is safe to say that all of these platforms let businesses reach different demographics. You’ll have to make a decision which of these social media statistics you will use, to market to and then develop the best strategy from there.
Is there any social media stats that we missed? Share it in the comments below.
If you are looking for ways to upskill yourself in social media marketing then attend one of our social media courses. Click here: Social media courses to learn more.
TOPIC: SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING